The selection of a physiotherapist is crucial for athletes in case they are injured, pull a muscle or just have stiff joints from their strenuous work out training sessions. Physiotherapy in the sporting community is immensely important as it restores proper functioning to the body, it also treats a specific injury or illness. Physical therapy or physiotherapy as we call it today originated during world war 1 in response to soldiers injured in the war. The very first physical therapists was known as “reconstruction aids.” Who knew? There are a few lesser known facts about sports physio, let’s have a look at some of them.
Uncommon Sports Physio Facts
- Physiotherapist need to have an in-depth knowledge of the entire musculoskeletal system. This is made up of 840 muscles, 206 and 270 bones, 220 nerves and much more.
- Physiotherapy can assist with obesity, with exercises that are effective for weight loss.
- Treatment of vertigo. Physiotherapy has been scientifically proven to assist with alleviating dizzy spells caused by vertigo, thus successfully treating it.
- Ability to visit in the comfort of your own home. Exercises and treatment can be carried out at home, saving you travelling costs.
- Physiotherapy is a drug free treatment, that does not involve any drugs or surgery, making it highly cost effective.
- Physiotherapy started as a female only profession. Comprised of only 274 woman at the time, physiotherapy has evolved tremendously over the years.
- The practice of physiotherapy dates back to 460 B.C. The first practitioner of physiotherapy was a greek physician known as Hippocrates. He used it to restore and maintain body functions.
Now that we have all those lesser known facts out the way, let’s have a look at sports physiotherapy and what it entails.
Sports physio Graceville is a specialised branch of physiotherapy that focuses primarily on preventing, diagnosing and treating sports related injuries while ensuring that you recover as best as possible. Utilising the expertise of a physiotherapist can assist athletes with preventing sport related injuries during training and beyond. Sports physiotherapy can assist professional athletes, recreational athletes, children in sports teams and anyone getting back into sports.
If you are an athlete in the Graceville area and in need of a professional sports physiotherapist then Pain Slayers Graceville Physiotherapy is here to assist you. We will conduct an assessment on the pattern of your movements and movement faults to establish what kind of physiotherapy treatment is best suited to your individual need. Call us today or visit us online for a booking!